Friday, January 7, 2011

The Playroom: Pretty Ponies

While growing up I asked, no begged, repeatedly for a pony.  I would cut out photos of horses and leave them all over the house.  When I was 6, I spent a week galloping around the house neighing at everyone I saw – even that didn’t break my parents down!  One year I received a plastic pony for Christmas and cried.

The funny thing is, I have no idea why I wanted a pony.  We moved all the time and tended to live in huge cities.  I’m pretty sure I was 12 or 13 before I even saw one in real life. 

No matter what their background, girls seem to have an innate obsession with ponies!  Girls who need to be told repeatedly to clean their rooms will happily spend hours cleaning up a dirty barn and stomping through the muck.

It’s not just silly spoiled girls who share this infatuation; even smart girl Lisa Simpson repeatedly expresses her undying love of all things equine. 

Perhaps it’s movies like Black Beauty and The Last Unicorn or the associated Princess imagery that binds ponies with such magical properties.  Maybe it’s the sense freedom they imagine while sprinting through open fields or the unconditional friendship their pony will provide.    

I like to think that little girls love ponies because, just like them, these animals are free spirited and innocent.  They love to explore and run as fast as they can.  They are have spirited personalities and demand respect, love and, at the end of a long day, someone to braid their hair for them.



Our Product Idea:
We know girls love ponies, horses and unicorns!  At The Orb Factory, we have tons of fun horse craft kits that any little girl is bound to love.  With products for our youngest right up to our older fans, we have notebooks, jewelry boxes and magical sticky mosaics art work!

  

No comments: