Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? 5 Tips for Gardening with Children



Gardening is the perfect outdoor activity for children.  There is nothing more exciting than digging in the dirt, burying some seeds and anxiously awaiting the first sprouts of spring.

Whether you choose to bring children to a local greenhouse to pick out their own flowers or watch them happily munch homegrown tomatoes and cucumber, gardening is a bonding and educational adventure that can foster an early love of nature and science.

1.     Be Age Appropriate
It’s never too early to have children help in the garden.  Young children from 2 to 4 can dig holes and drop in seeds.  They also love watering plants with a pint-sized watering can.  As they get a little older, allow them to pick out their own plants.  Once a child reaches 8, feel free to give them their own section of garden.  Allow them to mix veggies and flowers and encourage them to keep a log of how quickly things grow and what animals and bugs they see.

2.     Grow Your Own Salad
Even children who normally wouldn’t touch a green pepper are much more likely to eat and enjoy veggies they grow themselves.  Try an easy tomato plant on the porch.

3.     Get Carnivorous
Did you know you can buy carnivorous plants?  Little boys who don’t want to spend time picking out tulips will go wild for a Venus Flytrap.  They are native to bogs and swamplands, so won’t thrive in an outdoor garden, but they grow very well indoors.
       
4.     Garden Year Round
Grow an herb garden indoors during the winter.  This not only gives you fresh delicious ingredients, it’s sure to pique a child’s interest in cooking.

5.     Keep it Kid Sized
Pick up a little kid appropriate gardening set.  Having their own fitted gloves, watering can, spade and trowel will make them feel special and make the job a lot easier.

What's growing in your garden?  

Tell us and you could win Sticky Mosaics Ladybugs and Friends

Contest open to all Canadian and American residents.  Be sure to leave an email address where we can contact you!  Contest closes May 6th, 2011
.

15 comments:

Jeannine said...

We have blueberry and rasberry bushes, tuilps in the back and are going to plant sunflowers


mellanhead74 at hotmail.com

Alicia C. said...

I'm planning a garden for my 2-1/2 y.o. son and I to work on together. I want it to encompass all his senses, so we'll have some lambs' ear for touching, flowers for color, lots of things he can taste all summer (grape tomatoes, ever-bearing strawberries, etc.) We have herbs for pizza-making (he's also my buddy in the kitchen!) We also have some lavender, mint, and lemon thyme to smell! I'm still trying to figure out a "noisy" plant. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!
ohmiss14 at yahoo dot com

lolamichele said...

we just planted our garden about 2 weeks ago. we have 3 different lettuces, spinach, carrots, onions, radishes, bush beans, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash, and some gourds.

boswife @ gmail . com

mstyle10 said...

we are going to do cucumbers and green peppers in our garden this year! Thanks. mstyle10@hotmail.com

Heather said...

we're still in the planning process for our garden; it's still a bit too cold for planting here. But we know we'll have tomatoes, red and green peppers, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. My daughter is also looking forward to growing corn this summer.

Tabitha Pye said...

I'm hoping to do some container gardening this year for fresh veggies, my yard isn't big enough for a full garen so I am hoping to do some beans, tomatoes and peppers in containers this year :) Here's hoping my black thumb doesn't kill them :(

Michelle A. said...

Tomatoes, radishes, green beans, cabbage, lettuce, bell peppers, egg plant. We also have blue berries, plums, limes, raspberries, and peaches and a few other vegtables.

Gena said...

I'm in an apartment with limited space so my plants are in pots on my little sunny spot beside the driveway: tomatoes and bell peppers.

Tooth Fairy said...

My fairy garden is fairy shady so I have to place lots of different Hostas! But believe me the leafy green varieties can be very attractive. The colors vary and so do the shapes of their leaves, from wee ones to gigantic ones! ☺
ladybugcda (at) hotmail (dot) com
tweeting @toothfaircyber

Yvonne said...

We're growing potatoes, carrots, onions, strawberries, tomatoes and beets - our second year as GYO gardeners and loving every minute!

My 8 year old son is growing his own cress, peas and flowers :)

Snowy Summer said...

We have tomatoes, potatoes, radish, cabbage and carrots ;)

spdls0215 at yahoo dot com

Rachel said...

We have tomatoes! And I thought I had a black thumb :)

arizonarachel at hotmail dot com

TiNe said...

I started an urban planning just recently. I dont have yard but I do have a patio...I used 2L softdrinks bottle and hang it in my patio. Put some organic soil and planted lettuce. My kids always help me do it and we even put dates on each bottle because we do harvest them after 30 days and serve it to dinner :)

TiNe said...

tinehipol@shaw.ca

Luisa said...

We have all kinds of herbs! thyme, basil, dill and rosemary ! Next time we plan to plant tomotoes, we need a bigger planter though.


luish@shaw.ca